Afang soup keeps one of the leading positions among the most loved and often-cooked Nigerian soups. If you have never tried and cooked this fragrant soup, it is high time to do it. Enjoy the cooking process and of course, the final result.
How to cook Afang soup?
Afang soup take pride of place in the list of Efik delicacies as well as splendid soup Nsala. It gets its name after ukazi or afang leaves, and contains also water leaves. The methods of the preparation of the leaves are different: water leaf should be sliced by the knife and Ukazi leaf should be blended.
Many adore this soup because it is prepared with vegetables, so Afang soup is beneficial for health, nutritive and contains fiber.
Ingredients for Afang soup:
- One kilo of fresh water leaves;
- 0,5 cup of grounded crawfish;
- 200 grams of fresh Ukazi leaves;
- Three stock cubes (the one you like best);
- 1 head of naturally dried fish;
- 2 not very big fried or better grilled fish;
- 1,5 cups of palm-oil;
- One cup of winkles plus one cup of snail (it is optional, so you may add them if you want)
- Salt and pepper;
- Several onions;
- 1 kilo of meat for your taste (chicken, beef, goat).
- Prepare snails and periwinkles: wash periwinkles and snails, advice: try to buy already precleaned periwinkles, ussualy sellers make all the manipulations. To get rid of the sliminess of snails use juice (lime or grape).
- Wash and bland fresh Ukazi leaves, if in you place you have no possibility to find the fresh leaves, you may freely substitute them by the dried.
- Wash and cut by the kitchen knife water leaves. In the case you do not want your soup to be so watery, just squeeze water leaves beforehand and only after add to the soup.
- Wash meat, cut it into the desired slices, put into saucepan.
- Precook the meat with two cubes, chapped onions, pepper and salt.
- Remove the spine of the grilled fish and wash up the head of naturally dried fish. Add ready roasted fish and the head to the meat, process the cooking until is done.
- Pour palm-oil, crawfish, black pepper, salt, snails, and winkles and stew for additional 5 mins.
- Add water leaves and stew for another 5 mins before you add Ukazi leaves.
- Stew for additional 5 mins, turn off the heat and leave for several mins.
Enjoy fragrant Afang soup!